NightLife shrinks you down to size with a garden party full of larger-than-life animatronic insects and arachnids to kick off the opening of our new aquarium exhibit, "Venom."
Music by STARFARI (DJ set)
→ Enjoy an outdoor bar while posing with a 40-foot Mexican red-knee tarantula or climbing on a massive seven-spotted lady beetle.
→ Get up close (but not too close, of course) with an array of venomous species including live spiders, scorpions, jellyfish, snakes, and more.
→ Know the difference between poison and venom? You will by the end of the night, as Academy scientists show off some of the most toxic specimens from our scientific collections—including California reptiles and amphibians, venomous invertebrates, and toxic plants. (Here’s your chance to learn the easy way to identify poison oak.)
→ NightLife is a 21+ event, so be ready to flash your photo ID at the door.
RESERVED PLANETARIUM PASSES
- Planetarium passes are now required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free and seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
- Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area. All bars accept cash and credit cards.
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife, including The Academy Café, The Terrace, and a food cart located in the front lobby.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Programming lineup subject to change.