Transition Planning for Students With Disabilities
This training will provide parents and family members of children with autism with an overview of transition planning, including applicable federal and state laws and regulations. The presenter will also discuss elements and goals of transition planning, including examples of quality and poor transition planning. This training will provide an overview of transition planning resources, including state and nonprofit resources.
- Participants will hear an overview of the laws relevant to transition
- Participants will learn about the elements of effective transition planning.
- Participants will learn how to develop the transition planning section of an IEP.
- Participants will learn about recent MSDE technical assistance bulletins developed around transition planning.
- Participants will learn about resources for transition planning.
About the Presenter:
Mallory Finn, Esq. and Alyssa Navarrete Thorn, Esq. are staff attorneys at Project HEAL (Health, Education, Advocacy, and Law), of the Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities at Kennedy Krieger Institute. Mallory and Alyssa earned their Juris Doctors at the University of Maryland, Francis King Carey School of Law. Mallory serves on the board of directors of the Collaborative Project of Maryland and the First Maryland Disability Trust. She is on the development committee and is a co-chair of the membership committee for the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc. Alyssa serves as the Community Coordinator for the Baltimore City chapter of Athletes Serving Athletes, is on the board for the ARC of Baltimore, and is on the media relations and conference committees for the Council of Parents Attorneys and Advocates, Inc.