Playcrafting + Microsoft Global Game Jam 2020
Every attendee must RSVP at the official GGJ site
HERE with their full name (First & Last) in order to have access to the event.
The biggest Global Game Jam site in the United States returns!
Join Playcrafting and Microsoft for a weekend of game-making plus free talks, workshops, and prizes! Stay tuned to this page as we confirm speakers, workshops and prizes in the coming weeks. Our 2019 site was the biggest in the United States and the 2nd largest in the world. Be a part of the magic in 2020, live all weekend from Times Square!
What started in 2016 grew to an epic scale by 2019 with our massive site in partnership with Microsoft. The result? Jammers - student and professional, young and old, newbie and veteran - joined us for a full weekend making over 80 games with free onsite workshops and an epic expo and demo showcase with judges and prizes that had folks cheering all Sunday long. We're so excited to grow and evolve this one-of-a-kind weekend for our community in 2020.
Watch our official 2019 Recap Video:
Official 2020 Site Partners
Each participant will need to register on the
You do not need to be onsite the entire weekend to participate or to be entered for prizes.
The site itself will be open 5pm to 9pm on Friday, 9am to 9pm on Saturday and 9am to 8pm on Sunday. Games can be worked on outside of the site, but we'll be closing down at the specified time each night.
This is an inclusive site - people of all ages and backgrounds are welcome to join. Children should be accompanied by a parent or guardian. You do not need to be an active game developer to participate. Many game developers will be in attendance, though, too!
All games will have the same theme, which will be announced at our kickoff on Friday night. If you have more questions about how the Global Game Jam works, visit
In the interest of fostering an inclusive and safe environment at all of our events, our
Tweet along with us throughout the event!
@Playcrafting / @MSFTReactor
- 5:00pm - Doors Open / Registration & Check-in
- 6:30pm - Welcome Announcements & Keynote Video
- 7:45pm - Groups are formed
- 8:00pm - Game Ideation Workshop by Kevin Harper, VR / Unity Developer at ustwo
- 9:00pm - Site closes
- 9:00am - Doors open / Registration & Check-in
- 12:00pm - Registration closes for the day
Free Workshops Series *TIMES TBA*
- Intro to Game Design
- Driving player input animation in Unreal Engine by Tom Shannon
- Intro to Unity by Michael Rubino, Co-Founder at Looply Games and formerly Mobile Architect at Dots
- Modeling and Animation by Jerell “Rell” John, Asset Specialist at MLB and formerly Game Capture Artist at Rockstar Games
- Audio Assets: Tips & Tricks for Jammers by Ronny Mraz, Technical Sound Designer at Avalanche Studios
- Gameplay Blueprints for Easy & Effective Interactivity by Tom Shannon of Unreal Engine
- 1:00-5:00pm - Office Hours with Unreal
- 9:00pm - End / site closes
- 9:00am - Doors open / Registration & Check-in
- 9:00am-3:00pm - Office Hours with Unreal
- 3:00pm - Deadline for submitting games!
- 3:00pm-5:00pm - Global Game Jam Expo & Judges Choose Winners
- 5:00pm - Winners are Announced & Demo Games
- 8:00pm - Site closes
We Will Provide
Power Outlets; Wifi; Free Workshops; Mentorship
What to Bring
- All of your own equipment (laptops, cords, controllers, adapters, software, etc). Anything you need to make a game over the weekend will need to be brought by you. We will not be providing.
- A laptop with the relevant software downloaded and installed for any workshops you're attending.
- A government-issued photo ID.
What NOT to Bring
- Large fabric items (stuffed animals, couches, etc.)
- External speakers.
- Fake (or real) weaponry of any kind.
- Confetti/glitter/etc that makes a mess.
- Anything that can’t be carried in a regular elevator.
- Anything that can’t be easily transported through narrow corridors. There are some tight spots in the building.
- Smoke machines, strobe lights, disco balls.
- Anything dangerous or threatening (everyone has to go through Microsoft security).
- Anything that would be inappropriate for kids to interact with.
Categories & Prizes
Jerell “Rell” John, Asset Specialist at MLB and formerly Game Capture Artist at Rockstar Games
Michael Rubino, Co-Founder at Looply Games and formerly Mobile Architect at Dots
Please note: Filming is occurring at this event. You may be videotaped or recorded. Snacks will be available in limited quantities. Please be courteous.
Notice: Government and Public Education Employees
Microsoft wants to ensure that we– and you– comply with applicable government gift and ethics laws. As a result, Microsoft respectfully declines to provide government employees with ‘giveaways’ of Microsoft products or other items of value (including software, meals, and other items) without payment or prior authorization from your agency ethics officer/attorney.
Please specify on your registration materials and evaluation form if you are a government employee, refrain from requesting or accepting giveaways during this event unless you pay full marketing value or have provided us with a gift letter from your ethics officer for these items.