NAM Anniversary Symposia Series: The Next 50 Years in Health and Medicine
NOTE: THIS EVENT IS POSTPONED. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM) will host three regional scientific symposia this year celebrating 50 years since the founding of the Institute of Medicine (now NAM). Taken together, the symposia will highlight the unique role and contributions of our organization and members, and explore new and exciting trends on the horizon within the fields of health and medicine.
Join the NAM for the first symposium on April 7, 2020 in San Francisco at the Gladstone Institutes from 9:30am-4:15pm, followed by a one-hour reception. The symposium will feature a keynote presentation from Dr. Abraham Verghese, the Linda R. Meier and Joan F. Lane Provostial Professor and Vice Chair for the Theory and Practice of Medicine at Stanford University, and the following three panels:
Panel 1: The interface of immunology and vaccines
- Session keynote speaker: Ira Mellman, Ph.D., Vice President, Cancer Immunology, Genentech
- Panelist: Ann Arvin, M.D., Lucile Salter Packard Professor of Pediatrics and Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University
- Other speakers forthcoming
Panel 2: The promise of digital innovation to improve quality and access and reduce costs
- Session keynote speaker: Peter Lee, Ph.D., Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Healthcare
- Moderator: Eric Topol, M.D., Gary & Mary West Endowed Chair of Innovative Medicine and Executive VP, Scripps Research
- Panelist: Joann Elmore, M.D., Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and Director of the UCLA National Clinician Scholars Program
- Panelist: Sanjeev Arora, M.D., Distinguished Professor of Medicine in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of New Mexico and Director, Project ECHO®
- Panelist: Julia Adler-Milstein, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Director of the Center for Clinical Informatics and Improvement Research, UCSF
Panel 3: Climate change impacts on health
- Session keynote speaker: V. 'Ram' Ramanathan, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego
- Moderator: Michele Barry, M.D., FACP, Director of the Center for Innovation in Global Health and Senior Associate Dean of Global Health, Stanford University
- Panelist: Kristie Ebi, M.S., M.P.H., Ph.D., Professor, Global Health and Professor, Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington
- Panelist: Heidi Brown, Ph.D., M.P.H., Associate Professor, Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department, University of Arizona
- Panelist: Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, Ph.D., Wasserman Dean and Distinguished Professor of Education, UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, University of California, Los Angeles
Please note: Due to room constraints, seating is limited. However, a live webcast will be available and a recording of the symposium will be posted after the meeting concludes. All questions should be directed to Jessica Marx, NAM Associate Program Officer (email@example.com).