Lore Study Group
1. The framing packets are assembled, but not yet printed. If you want a hard copy of the packet, please let me know ASAP so I can get those printed. If you need me to email you PDFs of the framing texts we will be using, please PM me. Hard copies will cost money b/c they're expensive to produce; but email is free. There is now also a Google Drive for the Lore classes. Here's the link:
2. It's not necessary to have read anything in the packet for this first class -- but if you want to get a head start, read the selection by Wendy Doniger.
3. This packet doesn't have any actual Lore in it; only framing texts. Lore packets will be available about a month before we're ready to start digging into it (meaning they'll be ready in April or May).
4. There's no way that we'll get to everything, but we'll discuss the Hanegraaf (Chapter 1 of his book, Esotericism and the Academy) and Berger (his essay "The Interperative Shuttle") texts next month, plus other things if people have questions.
5. In this first class will discuss how we're going to read the Lore and a little bit about the dialectics of mythology using the Doniger text (Chapter 4 from her book, The Implied Spider), the specific tensions which can arise from reading Lore critically while also spiritually identifying with the Lore you're reading, and some of how the rest of these classes will look.
6. Depending on who shows up for class and how intellectual we're all feeling that day, I may spring some existential psych on you all -- but don't worry about it. ;)
This is the first Lore Study meeting. We will go over our framework for approaching the lore and how the rest of these classes will be structured. After this first one, Lore Study will repeat indefinitely on the fourth Tuesday of every month. We will spend about 6 months on each region. We're starting with Northern European lore b/c Eric can teach that while half asleep. After the April, 2018 class, we will discuss how the Lore Study group will evolve from there. Here's the current syllabus, which is always subject to change:
March and April: How we will approach the Lore.
May through October: Germanic and Norse Lore
November 2017 through April 2018: Anglo-Saxon and Celtic Lore
This class will be paid by donation. If you want to buy *hard copies* of the study packets that Eric will put together for these classes, they will be $20 each. There will be one initial packet containing excerpts from books and essays we will us to frame our understanding of the lore; after that, each new section will have a packet, a book list, or both. IMPORTANT: the study packets will be available for free as a download as well. Please let me know if you want one of those and can't find it.
World Tree Healing
4533 N Kedzie, Chicago, 60625, IL, United States