Think:Kids - Tier 1 Collaborative Problem Solving® Training: August 5-7, 2020
Tier 1 Collaborative Problem Solving® Training
August 5 - August 7, 2020
This summer we invite you to learn more about the Collaborative Problem Solving® (CPS) approach.
Think:Kids and the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) are pleased to offer our Tier 1 Training as a 2 ½ day symposium focused on the assessment, planning and intervention components of this evidence-based model for helping adults with children who have challenging behaviors.
Think:Kids teaches adults around the world about our revolutionary approach to helping children struggling with social, emotional and behavioral challenges.This intensive training is intended for parents and professionals interested in becoming more proficient in this innovative approach to understanding and helping children, adolescents, and adults with behavioral challenges, called Collaborative Problem Solving® (CPS).
Participants with some prior CPS exposure will learn to advance their skills in applying the approach through a combination of didatic lectures, role playing, videotape examples, case presentations, and breakout groups.
- Learn the pro's and con's of traditional behavior management strategies
- Understand the underlying causes of challenging behavior
- Receive an in-depth exposure to the assessment, planning and intervention components of the CPS model
- Practice prioritizing, planning and achieving a consensus using the three Plans of the CPS model
- Learn how to solve problems and train skills using the Collaborative Problem Solving process
- Practice drilling down to identify specific triggers / unmet expectations.
Additional Topics Include:
- Strategies for when a child refuses or has difficulty expressing his/ her concern
- Dealing with common resistances to the approach.
- What neuroscience tells us about the advantages of relational, experiential skills training.
- Understanding how CPS operationalizes trauma-informed care.
- Opportunities for continued learning and networking.
Prerequisite: A one-day Think:Kids Introductory Training - or - the online Think:Kids Introductory Training:
- Wednesday, August 5: 8:30am registration/breakfast, 9:00am-5:00pm training
- Thursday, August 6: 9:00am-5:00pm
- Friday, August 7: 9:00am-1:00pm
Breaks & Lunch: There will be two fifteen minute breaks on Day 1 and Day 2 in addition to a one hour lunch on both days (lunch will be on your own). On Day 3 there will be a fifteen minute morning break. Light breakfast will be served all three days.
Educators: We are approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for 16 PDPs.
Psychologists: An application for psychologist continuing education credits has been submitted. Please contact us at
Licensed Mental Health Counselors: An application has been submitted to the MMCEP for 16 continuing education credits.
Social Workers: An application has been submitted to the NASW Collaborative of Boston College and Simmons College for 16 continuing education credits.
Parents, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Educators Outside of Mass./Social Workers/Clinicians & Other Professionals Outside the US: A general certificate of attendance for 16 unites can be provided to which you can submi to the corresponding professional organization for consideration.
Training Address: Partners Healthcare Administrative Campus -
399 Revolution Drive Somerville, MA
Room Block/Hotel Options: Details coming soon!
Cancellation Policy: Non-refundable. Substitutions are permitted.