Camp Manga Madness
9am - 3pm each day
You could spend your summer binging My Hero Academia, Sailor Moon, or Attack on Titan by yourself, OR you could join Pop Culture Classroom for our Manga Madness Summer Camp! You'll be reading manga, watching anime, and learning from professional artists how to create stories of your own. In addition to consuming and analyzing content, you will receive manga-specific drawing instruction each day! By the end of the week, students will have created their very own finished manga. Along the way, you'll learn about and get the chance to use the same tools as real-life comic creators, including tablets, digital drawing software, and high-quality art materials for your final comic. Students do not need to have any experience in art, manga, or anime to join!
- Campers will learn and demonstrate drawing skills specific to storytelling in comics and graphic novels.
- Campers will gain critical thinking skills by analyzing the overt and subtle differences between Japanese and western comic styles.
- Campers will learn and demonstrate drawing skills specific to storytelling in Japanese comic art styles.
- Campers will gain knowledge of the current themes in manga and anime.
- Campers will think critically about how storytelling through images differs from storytelling through prose.
- Campers will develop graphic literacy skills.
- Campers will expand their of self-awareness and self-expression.
- Campers will gain creative and critical literacy skills, and learn how to add more nuance to their writing.
- Campers will gain knowledge of digital drawing tools and practice using them.
- Campers will expand their self-awareness and methods of self-expression.
We strive for every student who wants to attend our summer camps to have the opportunity to do so! We offer full and partial scholarships for students who meet the criteria detailed in our scholarship forms. Please submit the form by April 30th, 2020. Applicants will be notified by May 8th. Please note that scholarships opportunities are limited, and application does not guarantee that a scholarship will be given.
Cancellations made 30 days or more before the start date of the camp will receive a full refund.
If a cancellation is made within 30 days of the camp start date and the spot is filled by another camper at least 7 days or more before the camp start date, a refund minus 10% administrative fees will be issued. If the spot is not filled, a refund minus 50% administrative fees will be issued.
We are unable to offer refunds for cancellations made within 14 days of of the camp start date.
To cancel your registration: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, participant’s full name, camp that you are registered for, and the camp dates.
Pop Culture Classroom reserves the right to cancel any camp that does not meet minimum enrollment. Full refunds will be issued and you will be notified at least one week prior to the start date of camp.
Please note: Pop Culture Classroom reserves the right to remove any student from the program if they display any behavior that is harmful to others and/or disruptive to the camp. Under these circumstances, a refund would not be issued.