AJA 2019 Northern Regional Self-Defense Shiai & Seminars
The doors will open at 8 AM on Sunday, 7/21/2019 and the seminars will start at 8:30. Lunch is included and available for preregistrants only, and will not be available for purchase if you pay at the door. Preregister no later than 7/19 at 5 PM.
We have a great lineup of seminars planned for the morning, with instructors including Tony Maynard (Combat Ju-Jitsu), Dave Boesel (Budoshin Jujitsu), William Stockey (Karate), and Debbie Burk (Budoshin Jujitsu). Our annual Waza tournament will be in the afternoon. Waza (which means technique) is a great opportunity to test your skills; it presents the participant with a variety of attacks, and competitors are scored on the quality and variety of techniques used to respond to those attacks. There will be both Adult and Youth Competition Divisions, grouped by rank.
Advance purchase cost: Adults: $55.00, Youth 17 and under: $40.00. There is a discount available for families. Tickets purchased at the door will cost an additional $5. Non-AJA members pay an additional $5. Contact Paul Klara at
- Will lunch be available? Lunch is included with registration if you preregister. It is not included (and won’t be available for purchase) if you pay at the door. We’ll be ordering a variety of sandwiches from Subway, and have to provide advance notice of the quantity. Please bring your printed ticket to exchange for lunch.
- How do I find out my AJA number? You can find your AJA number on your AJA membership card, on an AJA promotion certificate, or by asking your sensei to look it up for you. As long as you are sure that you're an active AJA member it’s not a big deal if you can’t find it.
- Will there be T-shirts this year? Yes, T-shirts will be available for $15. The color this year will be “royal blue.” Buy with your preregistration for the best selection of sizes, especially the larger and small sizes.
- Will there be a Kumite competition? There will not be a kumite (free fighting) competition this year.
- How does the Waza tournament work? The Waza (“technique”) competition is also called “Self-defense Kata.” Pairs of similar size and experience are matched up. Only the person demonstrating techniques is scored, while the other person provides a varied series of attacks. The techniques are judged based on quality and variety. Awards are given to the top three competitors in each age and experience class.
- What’s the cost? Online purchases: Adults: $55.00, Youth 17 and under: $40.00. At the door: Adults: $60.00, Youth 17 and under: $45.00. Non-AJA members pay $5 more due to extra insurance charges.
- Is there a family discount? 2nd, 3rd, etc. members of a family each pay $10 less per person. Select "additional family member" registration after the first regular registration.
- What's the deadline for preregistration? Preregistration closes on Friday, 7/19 at 5 PM. After then you can plan to register at the door, but lunch is on your own if you do that.